Examine the Phase Difference between Signals of two Channels
Example: Test the phase change of the signal after it passes through a circuit network. Connect the oscilloscope with the circuit and monitor the input and output signals of the circuit.
For the examination of the input and output of the circuit in the form of X-Y coordinate graph, please operate according to the following steps:
- Set the probe menu attenuation coefficient for 10X and that of the switch in the probe for 10X
- Connect the probe of channel 1 to the input of the network and that of Channel 2 to the output of the network
- Push down the AUTOSET button, with the oscilloscope turning on the signals of the two channels and displaying them in the screen
- Adjust the VOLTS/DIV knob, making the amplitudes of two signals equal in the rough
- Push down the DISPLAY button and recall the DISP SET menu
- Press the F3 menu selection button and choose XY for Format. The oscilloscope will display the input and terminal characteristics of the network in the Lissajous graph form
- Adjust the VOLTS/DIV and VERTICAL POSITION knobs, optimizing the wave form
- With the elliptical oscillogram method adopted, observe and calculate the phase difference.
X-Y Ratio Frequency 1:1
Phase shift: 35 degree
X-Y Ratio Frequency 2:1
Phase shift: 35 degree
X-Y Ratio Frequency 3:1
Phase shift: 35 degree
Measurement of Simple Signals
Observe an unknown signal in the circuit, and display and measure rapidly the frequency and peak-to-peak value of the signal.
1. Carry out the following operation steps for the rapid display of this signal:
- Set the probe menu attenuation coefficient as 10X and that of the switch in the probe switch as 10X
- Connect the probe of Channel 1 to the measured point of the circuit
- Push down the AUTOSET button.
The oscilloscope will implement the AUTOSET to make the wave form optimized basing on which you can further regulate the vertical and horizontal divisions till the waveform meets your requirements.
2. Perform Automatic Measurement
The oscilloscope can measure most displayed signals automatically. Complete the following operations for the measurement of frequency, cycle, mean and peak-to-peak value:
- Press the MEASURE button to show the automatic measurement function menu
- Press the F1 menu selection button and choose Source with the Source menu displayed
- Press the F2, F3, F4 and F5 menu selection buttons and choose CH1
- Press the F1 menu selection button again and choose Type with the Type menu displayed
- Press the F2 menu selection button and choose Freq.
- Press the F3 menu selection button and choose Period
- Press the F4 menu selection button and choose Mean
- Press the F5 menu selection button and choose Pk-Pk.
Then the frequency, cycle, mean and peak-to-peak value will present in the menu and change periodically.
Analyze the Details of a Signal
Observe the Signal Containing Noises
If the signal is interfered by the noise, the noise may cause a failure in the circuit. For the analyzing of the noise in detail, please operate the instrument according to the following steps:
- Press the ACQUIRE button to display the ACQU MODE menu
- Press the F2 menu selection button and choose Peak Detect.
In this case, the screen display contains the wave form of a random noise. Especially when the time base is set as Low Speed, then noise peak and burr contained in the signal can be observed with the peak detection.
Separate Noises from the Signal
When analyze the wave form of a signal, you should remove the noise contained in it. For the reduction of the random noise in the oscilloscope display, please operate the instrument according to the following steps:
- Press the ACQUIRE button to show the ACQU MODE menu
- Press the F3 menu selection button and choose Average
- Press the F4 menu selection button and observe the wave form obtained from averaging the wave forms of different average number.
After the averaging, the random noise is reduced and the detail of the signal is easier to be observed. Shown as follows, after the noise is removed, the burrs on the rising and falling edges appear.
Capture the Single Signal
The digital storage oscilloscope takes the lead in providing the convenience capturing of such non-periodic signals as pulse and burr, etc. If you intent to capture a single signal, you can not set the trigger level and the trigger edge unless you have particular priori knowledge of this signal. For example, if the pulse is the logic signal of a TTL level, the trigger level should be set to 2 volts and the trigger edge be set as the rising edge trigger. If it is uncertain as to the signal, you can make an observation of it in advance under the automatic or ordinary mode to determine the trigger level and the trigger edge.
The operation steps are as follows:
- Set the probe menu attenuation coefficient to 10X and that of the switch in the probe to 10X
- Adjust the VOLTS/DIV and SEC/DIV knobs to set up a proper vertical and horizontal ranges for the signal to be observed
- Press the button ACQUIRE to display the ACQUIRE Mode menu
- Press the F2 menu selection button and choose Peak Detect
- Press the TRIG MENU button to display the Trigger Mode menu
- Press the F1 menu selection button and choose Single as the type
- Press the F3 menu selection button and choose Edge as the mode
- Press the F4 menu selection button and choose Rising as the slope
- Press the F5 menu selection button to next menu
- Press the F2 menu selection button and choose Single as the trigger mode
- Rotate the LEVEL knob and adjust the trigger level to the mid-value of the signal to be measured
- If the Trigger State Indicator at the top of the screen does not indicate Ready push down the RUN/STOP button and start Acquire, waiting the emergence of the signal in conformity with the trigger conditions. If a signal reaches to the set trigger level, one sampling will be made and then displayed in the screen. With this function, any random occurrence can be captured easily. Taking the burst burr of larger amplitude for example, set the trigger level to the value just greater than the normal signal level, and then presses the RUN/STOP button and waits. When there is a burr occurring, the instrument will trigger automatically and record the wave form generated during the period around the trigger time. With the HORIZONTAL POSITION knob in the horizontal control area in the panel rotated, you can change the horizontal position of the trigger position to obtain the negative delay, making an easy observation of the waveform before the burr occurs.
Video Signal Trigger
Observe the video circuit of a television, apply the video trigger and obtain the stable video output signal display.
Video Field Trigger
For the trigger in the video field, carry out operations according to the following steps:
- Press the TRIG MENU button to display the trigger menu
- Press the F1 menu selection button and choose Single for Type
- Press the F2 menu selection button and choose CH1 for Source
- Press the F3 menu selection button and choose Video for type
- Press the F4 menu selection button and choose Field for Sync
- Adjust the VOLTS/DIV, VERTICAL POSITION and SEC/DIV knobs to obtain a proper wave form display.
Working mode is available when buying LA options only!
LA input connection
Insert the plug of OL-16 LA module 50P into the LA signal input on front panel and fix two screw. Then 16 channel clamp of OL-16 LA connect to target signal and ready for measurement
User interface introduction
- Channel and Bus indicate: display current working channel and bus
- Channel binary value display: display binary system value for the channel position in current cursor
- Battery powers indicate: indicate battery power when battery inside
- Decimal system value indicate the position of current cursor in storage area
- Yellow dashed line indicates current cursor
- Blue dashed line indicates current trigger position
- Percentage value indicate current trigger position in storage area
- Sample data area indication: red for bus, blue and green for “0”, “1” in each channel data
- Decimal system value indicate the position of current cursor relate to current trigger
- Operation options indicate current function menu and different function menu have different display
- Sample status indicate: “RUN” for sampling and wait for trigger, “TRIG” for trigger detected and wait for sample finished. “STOP” for sampling finished
- Value indicate current time base
- Info windows: different operation display different info
- Value display current filter modulus setting
- Value display current sample rate setting
- Two purple lines for cursor 1 and cursor 2 in cursor measurement
- Percentage value indicate trigger position for next sampling in storage area
- Red square indicate the current sampling data position in storage area
- Red scale line indicates the time base width in sampling data display area and totally 4.8 divisions. The width between two long scale lines is 1 division and between short scale lines are 0.1 divisions
How to acquire data
When you start to acquire LA begins sampling data from the probes. Then each time clock occurs the data will be sampled.
Then sampled data is sent to trigger function block and store in main memory. The trigger program checks specific events with the sampled data and take specific action. The trigger program can check events as rising edge, data values, and data ranges etc. LA module enables a post trigger delay counter when trigger reach specified value and to allow post trigger portion of the acquisition memory to fill before data acquisition stops.
Press “F” to get into data acquisition mode after finish setting for trigger and sampling. Then running status display as “RUN” and running status display “TRIG” when detected trigger signal and display “STOP” when data acquisition finished. Then you can start to analyze data. Data acquisition can be stopped by press “F” again during the process.
When running status display as “RUN”, “TRIG” during data acquiring process ,only "F" key for operate and other keys or knobs are idle. Only till status display as "STOP" then others operations are working.
How to observe and analyze the data
- Turn “Sec/Div” knob to adjust the time length for data display in each division (to adjust the data resolution displayed).
- Turn “Cursor” knob to observe more details for the data of current cursor position. The data of binary value for current cursor position display in binary system area and power on measure menu then bus value for current cursor position will display in measurement window.
- Turn “horizontal position” knob can move the current displayed data to left/right position in storage area quickly.
We will use a simple measurement example to explain the primary setting for LA measurement.
We need to measure a three lines SPI signal, three signals are enable, clock and data. Clock is in effect when enable is low clock data, and clock frequency is 1M, data width is 32 digits, every clock corresponds to one data. Signal voltage is 3.3V.
For more details see User manual for MSO7101D (supplied with the device)
Osciloscopio digital con almacenamiento (DSO) de 200 MHz, 2 canales + disparo externo. Frecuencia de muestreo (en tiempo real) 2 GS/s. Máxima longitud de registro 2 mil puntos. Cursor con descripción. Veinte mediciones autom?ticas. Disparador de borde, de video, alterno, de pulso y de cuesta. FFT. Detecci?n de picos y promedio. Compatibilidad con memorias USB (Flash Disk Storage). Monitor LCD de 8.0'' a color, con pantalla TFT de 640 × 480 píxeles. Dimensiones: 14.7” ? 7.09” ? 14.7” / 374mm ? 180mm ? 374mm. Peso: 4.9libras / 2.3kg.