Capture the Single Signal
The digital storage oscilloscope takes the lead in providing the convenience capturing of such non-periodic signals as pulse and burr, etc. If you intent to capture a single signal, you can not set the trigger level and the trigger edge unless you have particular priori knowledge of this signal. For example, if the pulse is the logic signal of a TTL level, the trigger level should be set to 2 volts and the trigger edge be set as the rising edge trigger. If it is uncertain as to the signal, you can make an observation of it in advance under the automatic or ordinary mode to determine the trigger level and the trigger edge.
The operation steps are as follows:
- Set the probe menu attenuation coefficient to 10X and that of the switch in the probe to 10X
- Adjust the VOLTS/DIV and SEC/DIV knobs to set up a proper vertical and horizontal ranges for the signal to be observed
- Press the button ACQUIRE to display the ACQUIRE Mode menu
- Press the F2 menu selection button and choose Peak Detect
- Press the TRIG MENU button to display the Trigger Mode menu
- Press the F1 menu selection button and choose Single as the trigger type
- Press the F2 menu selection button and choose CH1 as the sorce
- Press the F3 menu selection button and choose Edge as the trigger type
- Press the F4 menu selection button and choose Rising as the slope
- Press the F5 menu selection button to next menu
- Press the F2 menu selection button and choose Single as the trigger mode
- Rotate the LEVEL knob and adjust the trigger level to the mid-value of the signal to be measured
- If the Trigger State Indicator at the top of the screen does not indicate Ready, push down the RUN/STOP button and start Acquire, waiting the emergence of the signal in conformity with the trigger conditions. If a signal reaches to the set trigger level, one sampling will be made and then displayed in the screen. With this function, any random occurrence can be captured easily. Taking the burst burr of larger amplitude for example, set the trigger level to the value just greater than the normal signal level, and then press the RUN/STOP button and wait. When there is a burr occurring, the instrument will trigger automatically and record the wave form generated during the period around the trigger time. With the HORIZONTAL POSITION knob in the horizontal control area in the panel rotated, you can change the horizontal position of the trigger position to obtain the negative delay, making an easy observation of the waveform before the burr occurs.
Measurement of Simple Signals
Observe an unknown signal in the circuit, and display and measure rapidly the frequency and peak-to-peak value of the signal.
1. Carry out the following operation steps for the rapid display of this signal:
- Set the probe menu attenuation coefficient as 10X and that of the switch in the probe switch as 10X
- Connect the probe of Channel 1 to the measured point of the circuit
- Push down the AUTOSET button.
The oscilloscope will implement the AUTOSET to make the wave form optimized basing on which you can further regulate the vertical and horizontal divisions till the waveform meets your requirements.
2. Perform Automatic Measurement
The oscilloscope can measure most displayed signals automatically. Complete the following operations for the measurement of frequency, cycle, mean and peak-to-peak value:
- Press the MEASURE button to show the automatic measurement function menu
- Press the F1 menu selection button and choose Source with the Source menu displayed
- Press the F2, F3, F4 and F5 menu selection buttons and choose CH1
- Press the F1 menu selection button again and choose Type with the Type menu displayed
- Press the F2 menu selection button and choose Freq.
- Press the F3 menu selection button and choose Period
- Press the F4 menu selection button and choose Mean
- Press the F5 menu selection button and choose Pk-Pk.
Then the frequency, cycle, mean and peak-to-peak value will present in the menu and change periodically.
Analyze the Details of a Signal
Observe the Signal Containing Noises
If the signal is interfered by the noise, the noise may cause a failure in the circuit. For the analyzing of the noise in detail, please operate the instrument according to the following steps:
- Press the ACQUIRE button to display the ACQU MODE menu
- Press the F2 menu selection button and choose Peak Detect.
In this case, the screen display contains the wave form of a random noise. Especially when the time base is set as Low Speed, then noise peak and burr contained in the signal can be observed with the peak detection.
Separate Noises from the Signal
When analyze the wave form of a signal, you should remove the noise contained in it. For the reduction of the random noise in the oscilloscope display, please operate the instrument according to the following steps:
- Press the ACQUIRE button to show the ACQU MODE menu
- Press the F3 menu selection button and choose Average
- Press the F4 menu selection button and observe the wave form obtained from averaging the wave forms of different average number.
After the averaging, the random noise is reduced and the detail of the signal is easier to be observed. Shown as follows, after the noise is removed, the burrs on the rising and falling edges appear.
Examine the Phase Difference between Signals of two Channels
Example: Test the phase change of the signal after it passes through a circuit network. Connect the oscilloscope with the circuit and monitor the input and output signals of the circuit.
For the examination of the input and output of the circuit in the form of X-Y coordinate graph, please operate according to the following steps:
- Set the probe menu attenuation coefficient for 10X and that of the switch in the probe for 10X
- Connect the probe of channel 1 to the input of the network and that of Channel 2 to the output of the network
- Push down the AUTOSET button, with the oscilloscope turning on the signals of the two channels and displaying them in the screen
- Adjust the VOLTS/DIV knob, making the amplitudes of two signals equal in the rough
- Push down the DISPLAY button and recall the DISP SET menu
- Press the F3 menu selection button and choose XY for Format. The oscilloscope will display the input and terminal characteristics of the network in the Lissajous graph form
- Adjust the VOLTS/DIV and VERTICAL POSITION knobs, optimizing the wave form
- With the elliptical oscillogram method adopted, observe and calculate the phase difference.
X-Y Ratio Frequency 1:1
Phase shift: 35 degree
X-Y Ratio Frequency 2:1
Phase shift: 35 degree
X-Y Ratio Frequency 3:1
Phase shift: 35 degree
Video Signal Trigger
Observe the video circuit of a television, apply the video trigger and obtain the stable video output signal display.
Video Field Trigger
For the trigger in the video field, carry out operations according to the following steps:
- Press the TRIG MENU button to display the trigger menu
- Press the F1 menu selection button and choose Single for Type
- Press the F2 menu selection button and choose CH1 for Source
- Press the F3 menu selection button and choose Video for type
- Press the F4 menu selection button and choose Field for Sync
- Adjust the VOLTS/DIV, VERTICAL POSITION and SEC/DIV knobs to obtain a proper wave form display.